Drones are pretty neat little toys. With advances in technology, drones are extremely easy to operate these days. If you have ever played video games before, you will be able to operate such a drone with ease. Plus, they’re just not that freaking expensive anymore. You don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to get a decent drone. There are now good ones for just a few hundred dollars.
Maybe you’re thinking about getting a drone, but you’re not sure if it’s worth the money – so you would like to know more about what you can do with a drone.
Maybe you already have a drone that you’re happy with, but you want to try something new?
In this article, I’ll show you 6 cool things you can do with your drone.
1. Start a Youtube channel
Nowadays there are Youtube channels for everything you can imagine. You can get millions of views with the right videos.
You should try to create a YouTube channel and start making videos about drones. There are many people who are interested in the same things, and you can build an audience and grow a YouTube channel while focusing on the aspect of drones that fascinates you the most, whether it’s the technology, the ability to capture incredible footage, or the ability to race with them. Whatever you find most fascinating about drones, you’ll find tons of other people interested in the same thing.
It’s free and you can start right away. You also have the possibility of earning some extra money with your videos. Either through the Youtube partner program or through affiliate links under your videos.
Here are some video ideas for your drone Youtube channel:
- Review the newest drones on the market.
- Fly through stunning scenery with your drone and record it. Put some nice relaxing music on top and upload it to Youtube.
- Talk about the news regarding drones. New advancements and technologies, what new models will be released soon, and whether your Amazon packages will soon be delivered by a drone.
- Do crazy things with your drone, like cooking or flying into a volcano (If you can afford it).
Examples of successful drone YouTube channels:
Yeah, pretty cool, right? The only thing you need to start is a decent drone.
2. Start your own drone business
You have the potential to become your own boss with a drone business.
If you are interested in drones and you have a strong passion for them, it is probably your greatest desire to be able to earn money with this passion.
You don’t have to invest thousands of dollars in a drone and equipment. You can start small because you can get a good drone for under $1000. Or maybe you already own one. However, the only thing you need to invest in is a drone and a little bit of extra equipment. As soon as you have your first clients and start making money, you can begin to scale up your business and make investments in more advanced drones and other equipment. Therefore, you won’t need a significant amount of capital to get things going.
Not only is it possible to launch a drone business with a small initial investment, but doing so is also relatively simple. You probably already know how to pilot a drone, or you can easily pick up the skills necessary to do so in a matter of hours. It’s not as complicated or difficult as some other business ventures.
Since drones are still a relatively new thing, the competition is not yet unbeatable and there are plenty of opportunities for you.
What you need to get started in the drone business:
- Obtaining the necessary license is something you need to do before starting a drone business. This is required in the majority of countries, particularly if you want to use your drone for commercial purposes and earn money.
- Surprise, but starting a drone business requires you to have at least one decent drone. Don’t be worried; drones are available in every price range, and it won’t be difficult for you to find one that fits your business idea.
- You need to make sure that you have insurance in case an accident occurs and you fly your drone directly into the car of one of your clients, or even worse, into his or her face.
- You should never stop staying informed about the rules and regulations that govern the use of drones in your country, and you should do so as often as possible. After all, your goal isn’t to pay fines; it’s to make money, not lose it.
So, you should first figure out what kind of business model appeals to you the most. Here are some ideas:
- Offer drone photography specifically for real estate, weddings, or events.
- Drone inspection services.
- Resell drones?
- Repair drones.
- Make money by teaching people how to fly drones properly through an online course.
So, you just need to find your first client. You can contact companies or people who could benefit from your services. Post ads or try your luck with social media.
3. Drone Racing
Drone racing is a real thing and it is becoming more and more popular. There is even a professional drone racing league.
Put on your FPV goggles, then fly your quadcopter with first-person view at breakneck speeds through obstacle courses set up in old buildings or outside. Sounds exciting? It is.
There are manufacturers of drones who focus specifically on producing racing drones, and you can choose from a wide variety of different models. But if you really want to stand out from the crowd, build your own racing drone. There are multiple guides available online that will walk you through the process of constructing your very own racing drone, and you can purchase thousands of individual parts as well as complete kits.
You can join a drone racing club or just do it for fun.
4. Explore difficult to reach places
What is it that makes piloting drones so dang exciting? One of the reasons is the fact that you are able to go places that you would never be able to go otherwise. You can go places that you would never be able to reach on foot because they are either too dangerous, too high, or just too difficult to reach for whatever reason. The use of a drone gets you to all of those amazing locations that are otherwise inaccessible due to the terrain or other obstacles.
If you’ve ever wanted to get a closer look at a volcano, all you need to do is fly your drone over it.
5. Travel with your drone
Are you at your absolute favorite location and you need some cool selfies for social media to make your friends jealous – Take your drone with you on your next trip! Take unique pictures of beautiful places and share them with your friends or family.
6. Use the follow me mode
Many modern drones have a lot of useful features. One of these features is the follow me mode.
This technology allows you to be filmed while performing all kinds of different activities. Your drone will automatically follow you and record you.
You can ride a bike, surf, or walk through gorgeous scenery and get captured while doing so. You can do every possible activity that requires both of your hands.
These are the 6 cool things that you can do with your drone. As you can see, you can use your drone not only to take breathtaking photographs or videos, but also for a wide variety of other enjoyable activities.